Post subject: MH Skånland: Statistics and generalisations about the CPS
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:04 pm 
Superposter

Marianne Haslev Skånland:
Statistics and generalisations about the CPS Barnevernet
MHS's home page, 21 October 2018

Summary (for the full article, click the title above):

"1
Our present Minister of Children and Equality, Linda Hofstad Helleland, answers nearly every critical question about Barnevernet by saying that the agency protects children against violence and abuse."

"Minister Helleland does not talk much about these and other not violence-related reasons for Barnevernet to intervene in a family. And the overwhelming violence she points to as central in Barnevernet's protection of children, hardly exists in their own statistics. Barnevernet's activities to a large degree go in other directions."

"I must ask to be forgiven: I do not understand so much of Minister Helleland's focus on parental violence as the central issue which Barnevernet is supposed to tackle."

"2
Another statement from the children's minister Linda Helleland and others is that removing a child from its parents is very rare, something only done when all other assistance has been tried and the circumstances are very serious."

"3
Studies are conducted regarding people who are or are not satisfied with Barnevernet's efforts for their families."

"But let me, as a kind of fourth point, bring up a type of statistic I find rather UNimportant. It is the question of whether the Norwegian CPS Barnevernet takes fewer or more children into care than they do in other countries – in relation to population size."